Re: SQL query: how can I hide a column in output?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:38:15 GMT

samir.vds_at_googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> as example, I've the following SQL query:
>
> select from hge123 client_no, client_name from client_tab
>
> Actually, I need the alias client_no for further processing, but I
> don't want to to see client_no as column in output. Is this somehow
> possible ?
>

> regards Samir

The SQL written above will not work as written. It has two FROM clauses.

If you want to hid a column in the output, then simply remove that column in the SELECT clause. You are not required to show that column, but your SELECT clause needs to show at least one column.

Additionally, just because your SQL statement returns the column does not mean your application has to display that column. The other answer shows how you can disable this in SQL*Plus. If you are writing your own application, you do not have to display the column's value in that application if you do not want to.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net