Re: Connection problem through sqlplus

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:58:09 GMT

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:21:17 -0700, Anoop wrote:

> I had to however add an entry like this:
>
> c1remdev.WORLD =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(Host = redbull)(Port = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = c1remdev)
> )
> )
>
> I think I could have put localhost instead of the server name (redbull)
> as I will be connecting from this server itself... wonder if there is
> any disadvantage in that.

The host name is resolved using whatever resolution mechanism you use.

If you use /etc/hosts and have an entry to localhost or redbull, no issue.

If you do not have an entry for redbull, but are using DNS to resolve that, there could be a long term issue in 1) DNS lookup delays or 2) DNS name/address changes.

Either way, you are going through the TCP subsystem. If your access is always from the local host, you might consider eliminating a few layers of communication and using the bequeath adapter.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!