Encrypting tnsnames.ora Using OAS

From: Nick <NickFCook_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2006 07:29:50 -0700

Hi everyone,

We've encrypted a link between our 10g R2 database and 10g AS R3, using 256-bit AES. To test the encryption, we've sniffed packets on the wire. We've noticed that we cannot encrypt the tnsnames.ora information being passed during initial login, pw change, and when our connection pool is used up, thus creating a new connection. Does anyone have experience with this? I speculate that this information is passed in the clear b/c the key negotiation has not occured yet? Naturally, tnsnames information is critical and we would like to encrypt it if possible. I've seen the ssh port forwarding option, but we'd like to encrypt the data using AES, not ssh.

TIA, //NC Received on Tue Aug 15 2006 - 09:29:50 CDT