Re: Connection problem through sqlplus

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:20:02 -0700

Anoop wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Need some help in this baffling issue..
>
> I have 2 instances of oracle installed on my solaris box. The oracle
> versions are 10g and 9i.
>
> I hardly use the 10g and have 4 databases configured on 9i.
>
> I have written some shell scripts to connect (from the same box) to the
> 9i databases and they all make use of the sqlplus command like this:

> Of the 4, I can connect successfully to 3 of the databases using the
> above format in my shell scripts...
>
> But the 4th, I just dont seem to be able to connect and am not sure
> what the problem is..
> I am connecting from the server box itself, I mean the database is
> installed on the same box.
>
> If I use a complete qualifying command like this, I can connect
> perfectly fine:
>
> sqlplus
> 'rem@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=redbull)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=c1remdev)))'
>
> but, if I do the following I cannot connect:
>
> sqlplus rem/cap_at_c1remdev
>
> I get this error:
> ERROR:
> ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

Have you done any SQLNET tracing? Listener tracing?

Post your SQLNET.ORA

Personally ... I'd be looking for a typo. A very small one that you can't see because you've looked at it too many times already. Find someone else to look at it that has never seen it before. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington