Re: why does a bitmap index grow so fast but shrinks after recreating it

From: Mistton <mistonl_at_mail.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2006 17:45:01 -0500

In article <1155594217.904231_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>8000 different values: Why do you think this is an appropriate use of a
>bitmap index?

when we query we always ask for the id and the datestamp we want all the rows for a specifc day for a specfic ID, query is aks for 100s of times a day. there are 8k distinct ids, with 1000 different datestamps.

with no index is too slow takes too long

we had a regular b-tree with ID and datestamp on it and the size was very big (600 megs)

tried a bitmap and the size seemed a fraction of the b-tree

>Why are you on 9.2.0.3 when there are at least 4 patches for that version?

I work for a Fortune 100 company. to upgrade to latest 9.2 or 10g would mean we would have to throughly test over 60 apps residing on our large unix box (mainly due to goverment requirements) we cannot upgrade without complete testing. would involve large amount of effort and expense. we are waiting for 10g to go thru another verison or 2 before upgrading, there are still a number of 10g bugs that might impact us. the current verison is working fine, so managment sees no pressing need to upgrade (we just upgraded from autocad 2002!!)

>And finally INITIAL of 56K. Should it be 256K?

sorry typo. Received on Mon Aug 14 2006 - 17:45:01 CDT