Re: Oracle on Windows

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:48:39 -0700

Comment in-line.

Niall Litchfield wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Preston wrote:
>>
>>> If you're using DBCA to uninstall Oracle then I'm not surprised ;-)
>>
>> I don't but I believe the OP did.

> But you did say
>
> "Not from my experience. There are more than a handful of times I've used
> DBCA to uninstall Oracle on Windows ... and then had to manually clean
> up the remaining mess."
>
> Was this just wrong, hyperbole or what?

Perhaps it is lack of scotch but I fail to see the conflict. I often use DBCA in teaching because students have Windows (even once or twice for commercial purposes). My experience is that the uninstall, with Windows, often does not fully clean up the registry and definitely does not fully clean up ORACLE_HOME.

>>> Seriously though it does a good job of removing the instance service, &
>>> if it didn't, the blame lies squarely at the door of Oracle, not
>>> Microsoft.
>>
>> It doesn't and the blame lies squarely at the feet of both companies.

> what utter rubbish. If a software vendor cannot write software that
> cleanly reconfigures itself then the fault lies solely with the vendor.

Unless the APIs are hidden from them that would allow it to happen. But ok there was a bit of hyperbole there I will grant.

> Now I know a rant doesn't have to make sense, but one that sounds like a
> pissed off teenager discovering the real world could probably be
> improved upon.

I'll work on it. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan