Re: help with my dataguard

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 05:59:15 +0100

emdproduction_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I am using 9206 on linux. I am practicing Dataguard on the same host.
>
> Here is my initial parameter on primary site,
> SQL> show parameter log_archive_dest_2
> NAME TYPE VALUE
> ------------------------------------ -----------
> ------------------------------
> log_archive_dest_2 string service=stdby lgwr

> tnsping stdby is OK
> $ tnsping stdby

> Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxxx)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER =
> DEDICATED) (sid = tets)))
> OK (0 msec)

> And I have standby database running on the same host
> export ORACLE_SID=stdby
> SQL> alter database mount standby database;
> Database altered.
> SQL> alter database recover managed standby database disconnect;
> Database altered.
> But my primary database still can not see my standby database.
> I am keep on getting errors
> ORA-16009: remote archive log destination must be a STANDBY database
>
> What is wrong here?

Your tnsnames entry for the stanadby database, stdby, refers to a database with a sid of tets. You exported stdby as the sid. You therefore aren't working on the database that your primary belives to be the standby destination.

I don't know whether tets or stdby is the correct db for standby so you either need to correct your tnsnames entry for stdby or else export the correct sid for the standby.

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA