Re: RMAN question, wont backup archive logs because some are not there.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:52:15 +0200

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 04:05:48 GMT, gs <gs_at_gs.com> wrote:

>I'm (albeit) slowly changing from my tried & true OS backups to RMAN,
>and have set up a 9i database via oem console to backup full database
>and archivelogs, with a retention policy to delete archivelogs that have
>been backed up twice. Looking at the history of the job it says failed,
>it looks like the database backed up fine, but because I had to delete
>old archivelogs on a weekly basis for disk space reasons the part of the
>rman job that backs up archive logs looks like it fails because it is
>looking for logs that are no longer there. I do have a copy of them in a
>zip archive on another machine, but restoring them is no easily doable
>because of disk space (lack thereof)
>
>I was thinking about deleting the records of the logs that arent there
>anymore from v$archived_log, but read somewhere once that this view
>should not be tampered with.
>
>What else can I do to fix this RMAN job so that it starts to backup
>archive logs and then deletes them after X backups? I'm not that
>familiar with the RMAN syntax, and nothing in the OEM wizards seem to
>address this.
>

>tia

There is a
skip inaccessible
clause
Obviously it should be used with caution. Usually you just *have* to use it on your first backup. To delete files after X backups, you need multiple commands backup archivelog completed after 'sysdate - 3' backup archivelog completed before 'sysdate - 3' delete

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA