Re: Problem when WIndows 2000 Server is rebooted

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Aug 2006 15:43:05 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 18:45:55 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> 2. Fire the vendor. Any vendor that won't support a patch should be
> >> dumped ASAP.
> >
> > That would be the majority of vendors.
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
> I'm sticking with my advice.
>
> Until IT shops demand that vendors stay current with supported Oracle
> products within a realistic number of months the vendors will continue
> to come as close to the Microsoft model as they can.
>
> When you get to that part of the contract negotiations where you are
> down to vendor interviews ... make it a condition of the purchase.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

It can get even worse! Outside of Oracle releases, I've dealt with one vendor in particular that upgraded their product several times and never left a path to migrate their old chromotography data to the next, newer revision. As a result, we have a couple of "in the corner" solutions who's hardware is becoming so old, it can no longer be supported. Yet at the same time, newer hardware won't run the older versions of the operation system required for the older revision of the product to work! It's insane.

Hopefully we have a solution coming in the near future from our new chromotography vendor, and it'll use Oracle.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Sun Aug 13 2006 - 17:43:05 CDT