Re: does unique constraints hurt insert performance

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:28:12 +0100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1155505382.545091_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...

> Also, you mention the cost of a rollback being higher with an array
> insert but I wonder whether that would be true if one were to use
> DBMS_ERRLOG (yes it is 10g) and do the insert with the LOG ERRORS
> syntax.

    Somewhere I've written something aboaut LOG ERRORS -     effectively it turns array processing into single row processing,     so it adds an expense at the moment of inserting, even though     it saves you the overhead of an array rollback if a duplicate     gets into the data.

> What is interesting is that almost everyone has interpreted the OP's
> question in a different manner.

    That's why I didn't try to answer it, but took it as an opportunity     to jot down a few notes. Received on Sun Aug 13 2006 - 17:28:12 CDT