How to find out concrete ORACLE_HOME via SQL?

From: <nitelyjoy_at_ist-einmalig.de>
Date: 13 Aug 2006 13:33:33 -0700

We have a running oracle instance and a remote sqlplus access via listener, no direct server access. How can we find out with SQL the concrete ORACLE_HOME value like "/opt/oracle" or "D:\oracle", that was set when the instance was started.

We assume that we have the SELECT ANY DICTIONARY grant. Is there some v$-view or a sys.*-table, that delivers, what we are looking for. Some of the file destination attributes in v$parameter are set to something like "?/some_arch_file_dir" or %ORACLE_HOME%/some_arch_file_dir" sometimes, but which value is assigned to "?" or "%ORACLE_HOME%"?

While getting deeper into the question, we got a trick to filter a well fitting library from DBA_LIBRARIES that reveals the value of ORACLE_HOME. But is there something official, that works well with any oracle version?

Our problem is to calculate the location of the password files "?/dbs/orapw<SID>.ora" (unix) and "?/database/orapw<SID>.ora" (windows) respectively. We didn't find these values in v$parameter or similar either.

Thanx in advance for your ideas and answers NitelyJoy Received on Sun Aug 13 2006 - 15:33:33 CDT