Re: does unique constraints hurt insert performance

From: sunh11373 <sunh11373_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Aug 2006 12:50:36 -0700

Hi,

Thanks for everyone here that offered your advises, especially J.L. (BTW, I have enjoyed reading some of your books on Oracle performance).  I haven't expected to get so many responses for a seemingly "simple" question. In my first post I tried to make some context for the question. But it turned out many prople are distracted and did not touch the real question I was asking. It is my fault and let me try to restate my question here:

If I have a large table with a column defined as "unqiue index", will it cause performance problem in a high inserting rate environment(all single insert)? I heard from someone that if the index is "unique", the insert will have to "lock" the top node of the index tree to update the index. Thus it will cause a lot of latch contention under hight inserting case. But I suspect this is not the case. It might be true for some type of databases, but I don't think Oracle does this. Can someone offer some insights here?

Thanks