Re: Problem when WIndows 2000 Server is rebooted

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:03:08 -0700

Nicolas Bronke wrote:

>> When you get to that part of the contract negotiations where you are
>> down to vendor interviews ... make it a condition of the purchase.

> This is a interesting point. I know customers, they say you have to
> support Oracle Release x.x.x and not higher, because another third party
> software only suppurt this software. And now you you have to support
> older releases or patches even if you know, that a newer patch solves
> some problems.
>
> Regards
> Nicolas

I am aware of quite a few organizations with COTS software from vendors who were not forced, as a contract condition, to support versions of the database supported by Oracle.

They can't comply with Sarbanes-Oxley (or other legislation). They are forced to support a different version and patch level for each vendor product, and their employee's resumes are degrading with time to the point that they will in another 3-5 or so years be unemployable.

DBAs need to insist to their management that products only be purchased if the vendor agrees to a stipulation that they will stay current with a currently supported version of the Oracle database.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington