Re: Problem when WIndows 2000 Server is rebooted

From: <dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Aug 2006 08:23:35 -0700

Chuck Whealton wrote:
> dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> > > Good advice from Sybrand and Chuck.
> > >
> > > But 10.1.0.3? Why? There is a patch to 10.1.0.4 that should be applied.
> > > And as Sybrand points out: "some error message" is far from useful
> > > information.
> > > --
> > > Daniel A. Morgan
> > > University of Washington
> > > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > > (replace x with u to respond)
> > > Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> > > www.psoug.org
> >
> > 1. Reason I cold not provide the error message is because no error
> > message was written to alert.log file, so I could not emember the exact
> > error message. Message probably was "databse recovery is in
> > porgress....", but then I just shutdown the service and then restarted
> > the service and instance started fine.
> >
> > 2. I cannot move to 10.1.0.4 because third party application was
> > certfied only with 10.1.0.3.
> >
> > 3. I am not using ASM.

> Alright, even though I kind of doubt this is your problem, if your
> database is coming up requiring recovery that is somehow interfering
> with it's startup (I'm surmising because I haven't had this particular
> problem), perhaps it's not going down cleanly. Maybe you should check
> some of your Windows registry settings. In particular, I'd look at
> this URL:
> http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3373301
>

> There are a couple Oracle registry entries in particular called
> ORA_SID_AUTOSTART, ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN, ORA_SID_SHUTDOWNTYPE and
> ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT that you may want to pay attention to.
>

> Remember that both Microsoft and Oracle advise you NOT to edit the
> registry. You may be able to use the ORADIM utility (I assume it's
> also in 10g) to make any changes you might need, but hopefully somebody
> will correct me if I'm wrong.
>

> Good luck...
>

> Charles R. Whealton
> Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

Chuck:

Thanks a lot for provding useful information, Problem occurred again, and this time I found the error message: ORA-1033: Initalization or shudtown in progress....

Basicaly Shutdown Immedaite is not shutting down the database completely (once in a while..), as a result during startup database does not start properly.

I have changed ORA_SID_SHUTDOWNTYPE to abort.

In UNIX, when server is rebooted, I have a shutdown script for database which does:
shutdown abort
startup
shutdown immediate

Are there any hooks in Windows to do the same from Windows Service. Received on Sun Aug 13 2006 - 10:23:35 CDT