Re: does unique constraints hurt insert performance

From: sunh11373 <sunh11373_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Aug 2006 22:22:10 -0700

Hi,

Unfortunately in my current dev environment, I can only have about 50M rows. We are still in design phase. I just want to see whether using "unique constraint" to keep data integrity for large database table with high insert rate is a good design idea or not . Our initial test with 30M does not show any problem. But would like to see anyone have a larger database ever experienced some performance problem using this approach.

"Big" means more than 100% performance hit, e.g. from 10ms (w/o unique constraint) -> > 20ms (w/ unique constraint).

Duplicate data is not allowed. If dected, the insert should fail. If the "unique constrain" approach does not work, then the caller has to ensure the uniqueness before calling the database.

Thanks