Re: Limit UPDATE statements to affect only one row

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:47:56 -0400

Sybrand,

with all due respect, can you point me to where I was bashing Oracle and/or pushing DB2? The only one doing bashing of any sorts is Daniel. I didn't even mention DB2 anywhere, I drew no parallels, nothing!

I answered to a post. I admitted openly that my proposals were unverified. I do this all the time in c.d.ibm-db2 to make users think. It's a lot more educational that way than screaming "RTFM you idiot!". Also note that my very first proposal was on the money: UPDATE emp SET sal = 1 WHERE rownum <= 1 (Does <= constitute bashing? Daniel seemed to think so?) In the past I have given successfully advise on e.g. the MERGE statement usage in this group.

If you have any issues with this thread please send a note to my boss Berni Schiefer (schiefer_at_ca.ibm.com). I doubt he or his superiors will take offense to my post and/or presence.

If you take issue with my footer, I'm a believer in open credentials. Any reader in this group knows wher eI'm coming from. That's a good thing. If you take issue with my affiliation to IBM that is in stark contrast to Oracle since IBM drives a lot of Oracle revenue. You would be surprised by how many IBMers are reading and posting in this group.

I'm on occasion called upon to help our Websphere product line work with Oracle.

I am equally posting SQL comments in comp.databases.informix and comp.databases.sqlserver. In neither group have I ever been accused of bashing.

As to what my agenda in this group is pretty obvious:
* learn as much as I can about anything SQL

For the record:
I do have Oracle Express installed.

Cheers
Serge