Re: Database Load or Usage calculation

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:53:40 GMT

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:40:02 -0700, mune19642003 wrote:

> What might be a good way to say that - OK last year X was the total
> usage of the database and this year Y is the total usage and so the
> support cost increases by Y-X coefficient.....
>
> Thoughts ??

There are no standard units which would allow you to express performance of an Oracle instance as a single number. If Oracle Corp. is working on that, I'd suggest something like Open Oracle Performance System or OOPS. The last number that was almost universally used as "performiness number" was BCHR (Buffer Cache Hit Ratio). Then Connor McDonald spoiled the fun and wrote a PL/SQL script which could generate as high a BCHR as you'd like and PHB was no longer easily satisfied. There should be nothing that should stop you from inventing your own, business specific number, such as the number of new records inserted in the LINE_ITEM table or things of that nature. This number should measure some aspect of the business activity and NOT an overall performance or throughput of an oracle instance. General "performiness number" would necessarily be ludicrous and easily faked, since the real measure of database performance is satisfaction of its users.

--
http://www.mgogala.com