Re: Limit UPDATE statements to affect only one row

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:38:33 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> I often find using a valid syntax improves things in Oracle.
>> Perhaps that isn't required with DB2.
>>
>> UPDATE (
>>   SELECT sal
>>   FROM emp)
>> SET sal = 1
>> WHERE rownum = 1;

> *sigh*I give up. It's like discussing Kant with my cat. All I ever get
> is Meaow!
>
> Cheers
> Serge

Anyone can write invalid syntax and state it doesn't work. My point was that <=1 makes no sense when applied to rownum: Your cat would appreciate that.

But I must say I find it amusing that you, without benefit of an installed copy of Oracle, comment on Oracle syntax while not one person here, without DB2 installed, would ever critique DB2 syntax in the corresponding IBM usenet group. Doesn't it ever bother you that you are giving syntax advice on a product you claim to not have?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington