Re: Problem when WIndows 2000 Server is rebooted

From: <dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Aug 2006 17:25:59 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > I am running Oracle 10.1.0.3 on Windows 2000 server. I have a few
> > database instances. I have noticed that when Windows server is
> > rebooted, once in a while (every 3 month or so). a database instance
> > will not start properly. There are no error messages in alert.log file,
> > however when one connects to database instance, it gives some error
> > message.
> >
> > As I stated problem happens only once in a while and it is also not
> > tied to a specific database instance (I have 3 instances). Has anyone
> > seen similar problem and knows how to fix it in Windows 2000
> > environment (I cannot move to UNIX, LINUX ...).
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Good advice from Sybrand and Chuck.
>
> But 10.1.0.3? Why? There is a patch to 10.1.0.4 that should be applied.
> And as Sybrand points out: "some error message" is far from useful
> information.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

  1. Reason I cold not provide the error message is because no error message was written to alert.log file, so I could not emember the exact error message. Message probably was "databse recovery is in porgress....", but then I just shutdown the service and then restarted the service and instance started fine.
  2. I cannot move to 10.1.0.4 because third party application was certfied only with 10.1.0.3.
  3. I am not using ASM.