Re: Database Load or Usage calculation

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:03:17 -0700

mune19642003_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I want to get some opinions on what would be a good way to calculate or
> maybe ballpark estimate the LOAD or CRITICALITY or USAGE etc of an
> Oracle database.
>
> This is more from the point of view of an SLA.
> So lets say we signup for supporting a database with x amount of
> resources and then subsequently the number of USERS increase or
> maybe that remains the same but their USAGE increases ie they submit
> more SQL QUERIES to the database. Or maybe the users share connections
> using a SHARED / WEB / APPLICATION account and just the number of
> SESSIONS keeps increasing or such or maybe its just the DATA VOLUME
> or DISK SPACE but that is also not the only factor if the data volume
> stays same due to archival but many APPS are sharing the database or
> such ...
>
> What might be a good way to say that - OK last year X was the total
> usage of the database and this year Y is the total usage and so the
> support cost increases by Y-X coefficient.....
>
> Thoughts ??

There is no way to do this accurately other than to look at real expenses based upon other projects and extrapolate. Lets say the maintenance cost goes up. You could hire another DBA or purchase the Grid Control from Oracle?

Lets say the load increases. You could put in a RAC cluster or buy a two multi-million dollar servers with a dozen CPUs each and Data Guard between them.

There is no way to know which decisions will be made. Nor is it a good practice to make such determinations in a vacuum.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington