Re: Recovery need help ... urgent.

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:28:10 GMT

gallasr_at_post.sk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have following scenario.
>
> - database backup 3 weeks old
> - all archivelogs from that time, but one about 2 weeks old is damaged
> - database export 1 week old
>
> So with regular recovery we are not able to recover database since 1
> redo is unusable.
>
> Is there any option to recover database using 1 week old export and
> than apliyng rest of archlogs which are not older than export and all
> archlogs are complete from that time.
>
> Thanks a lot for answers
>
> Robert

About the best you can do is to use the export dump to recreate the database as it existed 1 week ago. Then ship the archived redo logs to another database and use Log Miner to retrieve the DML. Once you have the DML, you can rerun that DML in the recreated database.

But this procedure is not as easy as it sounds because most likely, you will not be able to create a dictionary file that maps the object numbers to the object name. So you might end up with an INSERT or DELETE statement that you can't map to the correct object. And the DELETE statements have the "WHERE ROWID='......'" clause which won't map correctly in your new database. As Sybrand said, physical backups do not   combine well with a logical copy of the database.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net