Re: Oracle database not starting up after reboot on RedHat ES4 Linux !

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:16:46 GMT

shahid.bhatti_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Oracle database enterprise edition 9.2.0.4 running on RedHat
> Linux ES release 4. Although the installation went fine and after the
> installation I was able to see the common processes like ora_pmon
> started in system, but when I reboot system the database does not
> comeup.
>
> I am using dbstart command via a /etc/init.d/oracle file. This is
> linked to /etc/rc5.d and /etc/rc3.d as well in the Linux server.
>
> The amazing thing is that tnslistener is started automatically after
> system reboot but not database. That is, when I check the status of
> that via the command "lsnrctl status" it shows me the one database
> instance that I am hoping to see correctly. But no ora_pmon etc
> processes are there.
>
> Even interesting thing is that when I manually run the command
> "/etc/init.d/oracle start" by hand, it does start the database
> perfectly fine. This is the same command that I am running via the
> startup scripts in /etc/rc5.d and othe runlevels.
>
> Please help me finding out why is the database not starting up
> automatically? I have checked the
> /u02/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/startup.log which just says reports that
> Listener has started but after that it does not show anything about
> database starting up.
>
> Below I am pasting the chunk of /etc/init.d/oracle script that is
> supposed to start the listener and database. Please have a look at it
> and tell me what can I be doing wrong in this case?

> ORACLE=oracle1
> export ORACLE_HOME PATH
> #
>
> LOG=$ORACLE_HOME/startup.log
> touch $LOG
> chmod a+r $LOG
> #
>
> case $1 in
> 'start')
> echo "$0: starting up" >> $LOG
> date >> $LOG
>
> # Start Oracle Net
> if [ -f $ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnslsnr ] ; then
> echo "starting Oracle Net listener"
> su - oracle1 -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl start" >> $LOG 2>&1 &
> fi
> echo "starting Oracle databases"
> su - oracle1 -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart" >> $LOG 2>&1
> ;;
> ########################################################
>
> Thanks in advance for your urgent help.
>
> --Smb

When working with shell scripts that are executed by cron or on system startup, it is often useful to run those scripts in a manner that does not have your environment included in the execution of that script. If you simply type "/etc/init.d/oracle start" on the command line, that script is executed with your environment variables, etc. This is not the way that the script will run on server startup. To mimic server startup (or to mimic the way the script is run in cron), use the "sh" command to execute the script as follows:

sh -x /etc/init.d/oracle start

Many times, you will see errors when the script is run that way that you do not see when you manually run the script in your environment.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net