Re: Oracle on Windows

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:18:55 -0700

Preston wrote:

> If you're using DBCA to uninstall Oracle then I'm not surprised ;-)

I don't but I believe the OP did.

> Seriously though it does a good job of removing the instance service, &
> if it didn't, the blame lies squarely at the door of Oracle, not
> Microsoft.

It doesn't and the blame lies squarely at the feet of both companies. The registry is as dumb as a bag of hammers. Do you see equivalent nonsense in Linux? Solaris? AIX? OSX? HP/UX? VMS? MVS? OS290? But don't worry. Give Microsoft another ten years and they'll reinvent Unix and claim credit for doing so.

> I'm no Microsoft evangelist, & have been purely an Oracle
> bod for the last 9 years, but I do get a bit sick of Windows being
> blamed for things that are usually the result of bad applications &
> especially bad drivers.

<RANT>
Bad apps and bad drivers when Microsoft intentionally conceals the APIs they use? Why is that anyone else's fault. The EU certainly seems to agree. Windows is a bloated bag of garbage that provides essentially no functionality that wasn't invented elsewhere and implemented first in another os with the possible exception of new and creative ways to implant viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, and rootkits. An OS that can't be stripped of solitaire is not an operating system it is a monopoly.
</RANT>

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington