Re: Overall executions at DB level

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:35:41 GMT

Spendius wrote:
> Hi,
> Do you think doing
> SQL> SELECT SUM(executions) FROM V$SQL[AREA]
> at regular intervals relevantly reflects the number of total
> SQL executions whatsoever in your database ?
> (I'm not sure as I've noticed sometimes that substracting
> a value from the next one returns a negative number
> - guess it's because in the meantime Oracle rid V$SQL
> of a few statements...)
>
> Thanks.
> Spendius

The V$SQL view only shows the SQL statements currently in the Library Cache. It is highly possible that statements will be aged out of the cache.

A better option might be to query V$SYSSTAT for the statistic named "execute count". The docs define this statistic as "Total number of calls (user and recursive) that executed SQL statements".

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net