Re: Oracle on Windows

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 22:57:10 +0200

"Martin T." <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de> wrote in message news:1155154307.253235.290290_at_i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>> On 9 Aug 2006 05:16:40 -0700, "Martin T."
>> <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de> wrote:
>>
>> >If you delete the database, the OracleService<SID> windows service
>> >should be deleted (not sure if this will really happen)
>>

>> It won't, depending on how you delete the database.
>>
> I guess the service would be deleted ... after all Oracle created it
> for us, so when we use it to delete the database I'd assume (read:
> don't know) the service would be removed.
>
>> Even if it would, you would still need to reboot the system.
>>
> Actually you wouldn't.

(see the last line :-))

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14316/deinstall.htm#CIHGAHFJ

Oracle Universal Installer creates Windows services for Oracle components during installation but it does not delete all the services created by Oracle Net Configuration Assistant and Oracle Database Configuration Assistant during deinstallation. In addition, Oracle Universal Installer does not delete several other registry editor keys. You need to remove any existing registry keys manually by following the instructions in one of the following sections:

Removing the Oracle Net Service Registry Key

Removing All Oracle Registry Keys

Caution:

Use Microsoft Registry Editor at your own risk. Incorrectly using the Registry Editor can cause serious problems and may require reinstallation of your operating system.

Removing the Oracle Net Service Registry Key

To remove only the Oracle Net Service registry entry (if it exists):

Log in as a member of the Administrators group.

Make sure that you have stopped Oracle services by following the instructions in the "Stopping Oracle Services" section.

From a command prompt, enter the following command:

SYSTEM_DRIVE:\> regedit

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete the OracleHOME_NAMETNSListener registry entry. Oracle Universal Installer automatically deletes all other Oracle Net services.

Exit the registry editor.

Restart your computer. Received on Wed Aug 09 2006 - 15:57:10 CDT