Re: 9i Client Against 10g and Upgrade Gotchas

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:06:15 -0700

Oracle_User wrote:

> Daniel
>
> Thanks for the reply - does that mean the 9i client won't work against
> 10g or is it that it will just cause me problems?
>
> Also in your experience is it safe to do an in place upgrade (having
> taken appropriate backups) or would you do a clean build and then move?
>
> Chris
>
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Oracle_User wrote:
>>> Fairly new to Oracle and my boss is asking me to upgrade 8i (8.1.7) and
>>> 9i (r1 and 2)databases to 10g. I'm going to read the upgrade guides!!
>>> but a couple of questions
>>>
>>> 1. Can the 9i client be used against 10g and if so will it cause me
>>> any problems
>>> 2. Are there any docs beyond the oracle provided stuff that will
>>> prepare me for any upgrade problems I might hit?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>> 1. Upgrade the client.
>>
>> 2. Not really. But if you are using any non-basic technologies
>> such as AQ, RAC, or such ask questions specific to that technology
>> and your operating system and hardware platform.
>>
>> Equally important is which methodology you plan to use. Upgrade
>> the existing databases in place or build a clean 10gR2 and then
>> move the schemas?
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org
  1. Do NOT top post. Thank you.
  2. It doesn't mean it won't work but there is a reason for the 10g client and why look for trouble when none need exist?
  3. I always prefer a clean install and move the schemas. But that requires something small and moveable. One advantage is that I don't drag old initialization parameters forward.

But don't even think of doing either on a production box until you've done it on a test box, several times, and have tested every DML statement for changes in execution plan, performance, and scalability. The CBO changes a lot when you move to 10g.