Re: Refresh my Oracle Database

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SHOESyahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:16:58 -0400

Plactoon wrote:
> i have two databases in diferent servers, one is the production
> database and the other is the test database, now, the production
> database has changed, new tables, data, etc...
> what i need is to refresh my test database, tablespaces, schema, etc,
> but no data,
> my question is, what is the best way to do this?, i´m using oracle 9i
> on solaris.

So you want to replicate the structure (DDL) of the production data, but not the data itself? That's not such an easy proposition, but the approach that comes to mind is

1)take a full export of production
2)take a full export of development
3)drop everything from development (or drop and re-create the database)
4)Import the production exp.dmp file into development with full=Y and rows=N

You now have a copy of production on development, but without any data.   Now comes the hard part, filling that structure with the data from development. Depending on what has changed it might be simple or a real PITA. But the final step is:

5)Import the dev file with rows=Y and deal with all the errors

Good luck.

//Walt Received on Wed Aug 09 2006 - 10:16:58 CDT