Re: Treating idle and active data separately

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:02:01 GMT

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 00:01:55 -0700, qazmlp1209 wrote:

> We have a requirement where we need to store 5 mio. of records in the
> Oracle database. Out of these 5 mio., only 3 mio. records will be read,
> modified and used for the processing by the applications. The remaining
> 2 mio. will be stored, but the data from those records will be
> unused(which we will use only in the future).
> As we store all the 5 mio. records, (eventhough only 3 mio. records
> will be processed by the applications) the response time from the
> database is slow. Can we perform any tuning in the Oracle database,
> such that the Oracle also adjusts internally and considers only the 3
> mio. records during the normal access?

A good DBA can help you do all of the above. He can suggest and evaluate physical design alternatives (1 large table, separate tables for active and processed data, partitions), he can do some tuning and tell you where the bottlenecks are and how to widen them. Don't try that at home, we're professionals.

--
http://www.mgogala.com