Re: Oracle RAC newbie

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Aug 2006 18:11:57 -0700

soalvajavab1_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am newbie to RAC. some very basic questions
>
> let's say we have a two nodes RAC, does it means
>
> - Two system tablespaces
> -Two Temp tablespaces
> - Redo logs for each instance in its own disk
> - The only thing is shared are User Datafiles and they must be in SAN
>
> - What has to be in both init.ora minimun?
> - Database create command is difference or not? Can you send me the
> script as sample?
> - When I connect from sqlplus from another PC what exactly happen?
>
> _ what is differenne in listenetr.ora and =tnsnames?
>
> - AS soon as one node crash what happens?
>
> - Who do the load balance?
>
> - How do you value RAC to Hot Standby honestly?
>
> Sorry too much questions but shed a brief light give me idea. Thanks
> millions

Soalvajav, in addition to what Dan said, by nature of single database/multiple instances, this implies shared storage. You'll also need a high speed interconnect and remember - Oracle does NOT support crossover cables for this, even though you can probably make them work.  Don't use them (crossovers) for production. You'll want the interconnect to be operating at a minimum of 1Gb/Sec.

Oracle has a number of quickstart guides, based on your operating system. Just go to Metalink and search on RAC and/or Quickstart and you should be able to find them.

RMAN restores are ever so slightly different as you have to deal with issues concerning multiple instances and their multiple archived redologs.

I'd have to agree that you should DEFINATELY take a class on this. Preferably a 10g class as I'm told that they're much more in depth than the 9i RAC classes were (if you use Oracle for training). Dan's class sounded really good also.

Have a good one...

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Mon Aug 07 2006 - 20:11:57 CDT