Re: data migration from SQL server to oracle9i

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 06:54:50 -0700

tutul wrote:
> Hi
> AS i m new to oracle.i want ti know reagrding data migration from SQL
> server to oracle9i .also tell me wt are the book to read inorder to do
> this project.n how to approach.also i want the codes in C++ for
> fetching the dats
> tell me as soon as possible
> Shreya

http://tahiti.oracle.com
Read the Concepts and Architecture docs

Buy a copy of Tom Kytes books and read them. Especially the parts where he discusses differences in concepts and architecture

Pay special attention to discussions of the transaction model and locks. Even basic verbiage such as words like database, instance, and cluster have entirely different meanings in the two products.

Other than masochism ... why the desire to code in C++? Well if you must then look up OCCI at tahiti and take a look at the demos with .h file extensions provided by Oracle as part of the installation.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington