Re: Partitioned Table Indexes

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 07:37:32 GMT

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 01:04:07 GMT, "Dereck L. Dietz" <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net> wrote:

>Where I work they have a number of partitioned tables but they have not
>partitioned any of the indexes on these tables.
>
>Pardon my naivity but would/could someone explain whether, in general, this
>is a good idea or not?
>
>Thanks.

On partitioning indexes, in general:
- on the positive side, if you partition the indexes like the table itself, the partition and its index become more independently manageable
- on the negative side, a query that uses the index has to check every index partition (assuming no partition pruning takes place), which will take longer than checking one nonpartitioned index.

Jaap. Received on Sat Aug 05 2006 - 02:37:32 CDT