Re: tuning advisor ... again

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 11:58:58 -0700

Akimeu wrote:

>> Hi all...
>>
>> As mentioned in one of my previous posts, we do not have the
>> Enterprise Manager installed on our systems. So, I ran the
>> addmreport, and then the sql in sqlplus to see the recommended
>> changes. However, there are quite a few recommendations that state:
>>
>> Run SQL Tuning Advisor on the SQL Statement with SQL_ID "blahblah123".
>>
>> How can I accomplish this throught sqlplus without the EM??? If need
>> be, I can install EM on another machine... but, at the same time, I
>> will have to exp the database, etc... over as well. Would like to
>> avoid that if AT ALL possible. Thanks for your insight.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Al
> Thanks guys... that manual way really does look like a pain!  Is there
> anyway to export the findings from the database in question, import them
> into an em database and run the tuning advisor that way?  The problem is
> that I cannot connect to the problem database except through sqlplus and
> exp.  Thanks again.
>
> Al

EM has not a single bit of tuning functionality. EM is a front-end to functionality contained in built-in packages.

Go to Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org and click on DBMS_ADVISOR. Follow the link and what you will see is 100% of the EM's capabilities with the exception of the pretty graphs.

Also check out the docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

--
Daniel A. Morgan