Oracle 10g on W2k3 - 32 bit or 64 bit?

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SHOESyahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:26:09 -0400

I'm looking at speccing out new server hardware. We want to move to 10.2.

Any reason not to use the 64 bit OS instead of the 32 bit version? Anybody here using 10.2 on Windows 64 bit? Comments? Observations?

Smallish to mediumish database. Our network administrators are mostly Windows, so hosting on Linux or U*ix is probably a non starter. The advantages of sticking with the 32 bit version is that it's not "new" - we have a base of W2k3 32 bit boxen, so from an OS care and feeding perspective it's just another box in the rack just like the others. The advantage of 64 bit is the larger addressable memory space which *may* improve performance. As a shop we'll be going to 64 bit for many servers before long anyway (MS Exchange, for instance), so might as well do it now. But I'm not sure that Oracle is the best candidate to be the guinnea pig....

(current version 9.2 on W2k3 32 bit)

//Walt Received on Fri Aug 04 2006 - 16:26:09 CDT