Re: Stored Proc Recieving XML doc (UTF-8) into Clob data type.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:10:25 +0200

On 4 Aug 2006 08:42:03 -0700, "LineVoltageHalogen" <tropicalfruitdrops_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on a debate
>I am having here with my colleagues. In short we have a stored
>procedure (Oracle 10G R2) that is taking in an XML document (UTF-8
>encoding) and is shredding it and then dumping the data into relational
>tables (nvarchar2 attributes to support the unicode data). That is the
>readers digest version of the chain of events. The shredding process
>within the procedure can only accomodate clob and not nclob and it is
>here where the problem lies. I think that if data comes in via the xml
>doc and it has actualy UNICODE code points that once the clob recieves
>it some funky conversion will take place and the code points will be
>converted to something other than what they were intended to be. If
>anyone can shed any light on this I would be greatful.
>
>Regards, TFD.

Obviously, as soon as you assign your XML document to a clob, the document will be converted to the *database* characterset. If that database characterset is not UTF-8, you are toast. There is nothing 'funky' in it, it is just not making sense to have
xml document ---> clob ----> nvarhar2

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA