rman and flash recovery area

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Aug 2006 07:54:12 -0700

Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 on Solaris 10

In the Data Guard
Concepts and Administration, section 10.3.4, in discussing the NONE clause of the rman ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY, it says,

"Archived redo log files that are backed up or obsolete are deleted to make space if the disk space in the flash recovery area becomes full."

I understand this to mean that the archiver (or some other background process apart from an rman run) will automagicly bump out obsolete archivelogs if needed to make space for new ones.

The doc goes on to give two examples of configuring ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY in a DG setup. The second example (backups are taken on the primary db) is our situation, so they say to set the deletion policy on the primary to NONE and on the standby to APPLIED ON STANDBY.

Now, perhaps I'm connecting dots that weren't meant to be connected, but I understand all of the above to mean that if I use the suggested settings, the recovery area of the standby will eventually fill up, but it is not a concern because obsolete archivelogs will get thrown out so that the archiver doesn't get stopped.

Or do I still need to use the above suggested settings, *and* run an rman 'crosscheck archivelog all' and 'delete expired archivelog all' against the standby? Received on Fri Aug 04 2006 - 09:54:12 CDT