Re: occi connection pooling not working as expected

From: <vansluisdamster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Aug 2006 02:26:02 -0700

> AFAIK, connections are closed after you have, and some time.
> This time is to see whether a new pooled connection is opened,
> for which this (no longer used - you closed it) connection
> will be reused.
> When no new connections are opened, the connection will be
> closed after a while (and no, I don not know how to influence
> that).
> Also, pooled connections will open above the max number of
> connections when oracle sees fit to do so.
>
> You were told this, today, weren't you?

I am not sure what you mean. My problem is more about understanding the difference between session and connection.

By searching futher on the net and also reading 10.2 docs I am understanding the concept a bit more. Connection is the physical connect, eg tcp/ip to the decated server or dispatcher for mts.
Connectionpooling therefor means min. amount of connections between client and
server are setup. Each create connection on this pool will use one of the physical connections but and will create a new session in the database.
Session pooling, new in 10.2 occi will even further optimize this and even re-use same sessions.

My remaining question therefor is : what is the overhead in creating just sessions and how to measure this in a testcase such that we can make the decision of moving to 10.2 client (with more system admin overhead) or stay on 9.2 ?

Thanks,

Jeroen Received on Fri Aug 04 2006 - 04:26:02 CDT