Re: Reverse engineer CREATE DATABASE sql

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Aug 2006 00:58:58 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
> >
> > parsing an export indexfile for DDL works on all versions and there is
> > DBMS_METADATA as well (not without its bugs but hey you can't have
> > everything.
>
> Could you post the exact commands for these? I don't know if I'm
> braindead or what, but I don't see CREATE DATABASE.

it's not you that's brain dead Joel but me.

CREATE DATABASE isn't in the export file because, er that would be daft. I was reading the problem not as being recreate the (empty) database but recreate the objects in the db. DBMS_METADATA is a fun voyage, documentation and implementation :(

As I think one of your notes points out the syntax for create controlfile and create database are remarkably similar, and for good reason. I think if I were looking purely to recreate the create database statement I'd start with BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE and a text editor.

cheers

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info/services Received on Fri Aug 04 2006 - 02:58:58 CDT