Re: Oracle RAC Stored Procedure scalability

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:31:11 -0700

waihunglo_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wonder how the oracle rac facilitate the stored procedure
> scalability issue? Any experience that we can share. Does the oracle
> run the stored procedure on a single member of cluster? Is there any
> way that make the stored procedure horizontally scale?
>
> I guess one of the possible way is to partition data and issue stored
> procedure call on different members of cluster. Does it induce the
> network overhead in order to synchronized the table content across the
> members of the cluster.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Ivan Lo

There are several different ways your question could be answered and others have given you good advice including ... RTFine Concepts M.

In general I would say that from the standpoint of a single pre-existing stored procedure scalability is dependent upon whether it was well written with respect to blocks and locks. You want to minimize the sharing of table and index blocks between nodes: This is a matter of good design in any architecture but especially critical with RAC.

That said ... Oracle can load balance and parallelize between nodes so there may be an advantage with some procedures.

BTW: Put the procedures into packages.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington