Re: Oracle database for Windows

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 13:51:06 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 15:45:13 +0300, Uir Dimant wrote:

> Hello
> I'd like to download Oracle to my windows xp sp pro
>
> I got ---Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows
>
> and downloaded this file
>
> Download the Complete Files
> 10201_database_win32.zip (655,025,354 bytes)

 Congratulations.

 Next step is to go through the installation manual so that you understand  some of the questions that you need to answer during the installation.

> The question is , is it ok that I have MS SQL Server on my computer or
> should I remove it?

  Oracle needs a lot of compute resources. SQL Server needs a lot of   compute resources. Unless you need to have both running at the same   time, at least shut down the one you are not using.

  Removing SQL Server is not necessary, but it does indicate you are   serious about using Oracle. <g>

  Also remember that Oracle is not just a SQL Server from a different   vendor ... although single SQL statements may be similar and may work on   both, as soon as you need more than one SQL statement in a session there   are significant differences.

> Does the file I downloaded contain a clint tools as well (Enterprise
> Manager.....)?

  There are 2 forms of Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)

  Under normal circumstances, you have everything you need for the server   side. Download the client CD if you want to deploy to one or more   clients. Download the supplement CD if you need any of the add-ons that   are described in the 'Companion CD installation' manual.

> Any other tips while setup is running...

  Browse through the online 2-Day DBA and the online Concepts manual.   Both are available at
  http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=1

  Also, consider getting the O'Reilly 'Oracle Essentials' book to get you   over the terminology and concepts hurdle to you can read the Concepts   manual. http://oracle.oreilly.com

  And, when you ask questions, remember to include the version of Oracle   and the version of the operating system - just like you did this time.   Thanks for doing that!

  And finally, when asking follow up questions in this forum, make sure   you trim and bottom post. That means you remove unneeded comments and   post your reply at the end of the section to which you are responding.   This makes sure the post is like a conversation - you forget the useless   parts and you respond in a context. Just like I did here. <g>

  Why? Imagine if I responded to this all at the top or at the bottom ...   I'd either have to duplicate parts to ensure you knew the reference. At   the top, you (or others who are not yet familiar with the conversation)   would need to scroll down to see the context and then back up ... and at   the bottom you would need to wade through all the stuff to see the   (potentially only 1 line) answer. Either is extremely frustrating after   5 or 10 responses.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!