Re: Oracle database for Windows

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2006 06:21:05 -0700

Uir Dimant wrote:
> Hello
> I'd like to download Oracle to my windows xp sp pro
>
> I got ---Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows
>
> and downloaded this file
>
> Download the Complete Files
> 10201_database_win32.zip (655,025,354 bytes)
>

> The question is , is it ok that I have MS SQL Server on my computer or
> should I remove it?
>
> Does the file I downloaded contain a clint tools as well (Enterprise
> Manager.....)?
>

> Any other tips while setup is running...
> Thanks

No, Oracle doesn't charge your for having MS SQL server on your system. This is Oracle, isn't it. Oracle doesn't try to get market share by breaking other companies products. Microsoft does. Oracle doesn't need that.

However, it does want you to read those manuals. The Getting Started Manual for instance
(http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/homepage?remark=tahiti) It's even free!
In that case you would have noticed Oracle comes with a little thingy called the DbControl. It is a graphical interface managing 1 database.

The only important tip for people exposed to Microsoft is

      R E A D T H O S E M A N U A L S

Oracle is not a toy, it is not a point and shoot product, and you will fail if you don't read those manuals.
Actually, you have already formed bad habits by just starting the installation and not reading anything.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA