Re: Gather IO stats

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:12:04 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> Charles Hooper wrote:

>> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>>> I see, you are actually re-inventing the wheel...
>>> The functionality you are building is available in 10g, and in several
>>> other products.
>>> Obviously using the commercial alternative is cheaper than you
>>> reinventing the wheel.
>>> Probably someone should tell you to stop reinventing the wheel, and
>>> make sure you spend your employer's time no longer on exercises in
>>> futility.
>>>
>>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>> Available in 10g?  Some of the information can be viewed in 10g, with
>> the additional cost Database Diagnostics Pack that can only be added to
>> the Enterprise Edition of Oracle.  The Active Session History
>> capabilities in 10g would be nice to have also - yes the ASH
>> information is recorded in the database even when the Database
>> Diagnostics Pack is not enabled.

> But does it violate the license to access that information without
> buying EE and Diag?
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/license.101/b13552/options.htm#sthref48
> (in particular the section labelled "Some Diagnostics Pack features are
> accessed by way of database server APIs and command-line interfaces").
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.rahoi.com/2006/03/may-i-take-your-order.php

That is one I'd really like to hear Mark Townsend weight in on.

The entire question about the use of various built-in facilities such as DBMS_MONITOR, DBMS_WORKLOAD_REPOSITORY, DBMS_XPLAN, DBMS_ADVISOR is in need of serious clarification.

Lately I've just been telling people to run this query:

SELECT *
FROM dba_advisor_usage
ORDER BY last_exec_time;

And that if something show up ... they may need to call Oracle and buy something. And then there's the Feature Usage Report too which gives an insight into where legal and technical may intersect.

How about it Mark?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington