Re: Separating Tables and Indexes

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 31 Jul 2006 10:55:40 -0700

artmt_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> With a RAID5 disk system is there any advantage to separating tables
> and indexes into separate tablespaces?
>
> Thanks
> Art

Why you're using RAID5 instead of RAID10 ... well, search the newsgroup archives for a lively discussion on this topic.

The only reason to separate tables and indexes is for ease of management (indexes corrupt the tablespace you don't lose data as well, for example), not for performance. Again, you can search the newsgroup archives for another lively discussion.

I separate them for management reasons; I can create tablespaces with a smaller extent size for the index objects than I would need for the table objects (as usually indexes require less space than tables). Again, this is more a personal preference than a hard-and-fast rule.

It's up to you, really, what you do and how you do it with respect to this topic. I've provided my opinion. I'm certain others will follow.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Jul 31 2006 - 12:55:40 CDT