Re: What causes ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact ?

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:16:01 +0000 (UTC)

In <ii8mc25f8k2dan4m3qp68lddcf3n54r3l4_at_4ax.com> Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> writes:

>On 28 Jul 2006 10:46:51 -0700, "Anthony" <akkha1234_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would say reboot and start from fresh
>>on a yearly basis is sound manangement practice.

>So you never patch or upgrade Oracle? Now *that* is sound management
>practice!! (apart from the fairy tales you have already told us)

Actually, I only apply patches for identifiable problems with our specific, and very static usage of Oracle.

It's also inside a tightly protected network (to preempt the security questions).

I recognize this may not e "Best Accepted Practice". But it has worked well for us over 10+ years, so I think it's been a fairly good plan. Also it let's me concentrate my time on issues management precieves are more important.

BTW, I looked a ipcs on this machine, and it does not appear to be a shared (memory et all) issue that is causing this problem

Any suggestions as to where else to look?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin