Re: Drop empty table and lms flush message acks

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 31 Jul 2006 02:44:33 -0700

mirfalk wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm working on oracle 10g+cluster+ASM and I'm facing a strange and
> unexpected behaviour.
>
> I'm trying to drop an empty (but big), table and after one hour and an
> half the drop statement is still there waiting to be completed.
>
> There are no locks currently active on that table and the session
> executing the statement is spending most of the time waiting for "lms
> flush message acks".
>
> The table is NOLOGGING and it's size is about 20000 Mb.
>
> The devices managed by ASM are not so fast (20M/s) but this doesn't
> seems to be the problem. I've got the sensation that the two sides of
> the cluster do not agree about the storage management.
>
> Any Idea?
>
> TIA
> A.D.

The last assertion can not be true, as the storage parameters are stored in the database, so only once.
Lms has to do with cluster operations/cache fusion : any block invalidated in a single instance needs also to be invalidated in all the others.
You should be able to see the contents of the v$bh (instance specific) and gv$bh (cluster wide) changing.
I would bet your analysis is incorrect and the device speed actually is one of the problems (and maybe the speed of the cluster interconnect).

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA