Re: could RMAN backup different platforms?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:47:33 +0200

Andreas Piesk schreef:
> Hi,
>
> i'm already backing up several RACs. to utilize all nodes the backup is
> peformed by a non-RAC server which allocate channels to the RAC nodes
> and transfers the backupsets to a TSM system. works great so far, for
> linux. now i want to to the same with RACs on AIX. do i need a non-RAC
> server running AIX to perform the backup for the AIX RACs or can the
> linux server do the job? to make it short:
>
> can rman on AIX back up databases on linux and vice versa? any links,
> notes, etc. are welcome.
>
> or is my setup silly and there's a better way to do it?
>
> regards,
> -ap

You could run RMAN on the server your db is installed on (my recommendation anyway - and to use the highest version available), and have it store the backup pieces/files on you Linux box, or on a mount, accessible by the Linux box and move it to TSM then

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...