Re: Is Oracle slower than sql server

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:41:58 +0200

faisal.mansoor_at_gmail.com schreef:

> Does grouping a large no of procs in a package can effect performance
> (I dont think so it should)?

Yes - in a positive way. It is logical to group procedures, that "belong together" in a package. If one packaged procedure is called, the package is fetched into memory - and thus all procedures, of which it is more than likely to execute one - that is why you packaged them, didn't you?

> Our applicantion dumps files in to database. Issuing insert quries
> gives horrible performance so we are using bulk loading in sql server
> but for oracle we are using sqlldr with conventional load option.
> (Can't use direct path load because multiple clients might be loading
> data in the same table simultaneously with our application and direct
Eh? what design is that?

> path load does not support that). Loading data through sqlldr takes
> double the time then sql server bcp interface (And thats expected as we

sqlldr is a server side utility for bulk loads. I have only seen it outperform bcp by a factor of 3, same hardware (Ok, it wasn't MSSS, but Sybase)

> are launcing a seperate sqlldr process for every load operation it is
> much faster than insert quries but much solower than sql server bulk
> same thing that sqlldr does?

Sure, what interface, client or server side? Web interface: WPG.DOCLOAD
Forms - W2UTIL, I believe the client side windows interface API was called.
PL/SQL, server side: no, nothing beats sqlldr, although you could take a look into external tables.
And loose the temp tables - you can merge, using a select as inline view (aka table).

Perhaps stating the business case would help, in stead of finding solutions for a perhaps less-than-optimal implementation.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...