Re: use temporary tablespace details

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:55:58 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 02:16:12 -0700, aman.oracle.dba wrote:

> I want to know where else temporary tablespace is used excluding
> sorting.

As I understand it, the temp tabblespace is used

  1. when there is insufficient room in the PGA for temp objects such as sort, intermediate bitmaps, hash join pointers, temp lobs, and so on.

When there are PGA pressures, the server process falls back to disk and uses temp space as defined by the user's temporary tablespace setting.

As Sybrand says, sorts may be required for any set operations (union, intersect, etc.) and non-order-by operations (group by), as well as sort merges and a lot of other similar internal operations. May show up unexpectedly due to recursive SQL.

2) Global Temporary Tables

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!