What causes ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact ?

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:38:22 +0000 (UTC)

Last night on an instance that has been up for over 100 days, and on a machine with an uptime over 400 days (HP-UX 10.20 and Oracle 7.3.4.5.0, I started getting :

ERROR: ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact

Intermitentaly on attempts to connect to the instance. I also got some errors about TNS path? Sorry I don't have that one handy.

From an OS perspective, the machine seems healthy (not out of process table entries or anything like that, I don't believe).

What should I look for to troubleshoot this problem?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin