Re: could RMAN backup different platforms?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:07:09 GMT

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:16:10 -0700, Andreas Piesk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm already backing up several RACs. to utilize all nodes the backup is
> peformed by a non-RAC server which allocate channels to the RAC nodes
> and transfers the backupsets to a TSM system. works great so far, for
> linux. now i want to to the same with RACs on AIX. do i need a non-RAC
> server running AIX to perform the backup for the AIX RACs or can the
> linux server do the job? to make it short:
>
> can rman on AIX back up databases on linux and vice versa? any links,
> notes, etc. are welcome.
>
> or is my setup silly and there's a better way to do it?
>
> regards,

Andreas, database is ALWAYS backed up using local oracle executable. RMAN packages are built into the oracle executable. By using RMAN client and a catalog, you're just putting backup in a place where you can find it later. There is no reason why not to do that with an AIX box. Linux fans may object but in terms of reliability and stability, AIX beats Linux hands down.

--
http://www.mgogala.com