Re: Question about DataGuard

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:40:25 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:43:39 -0700, Satheesh Babu.S wrote:

> Hi,
> If you don't want to loose any transaction, then use "Max Protection"
> mode. By this lgwr will write directly to standby redo logfiles. But
> the catch is if for some reason, if it is not able to write to standby
> location then the primary db will shutdown. So high bandwidth between
> primary and secondary is must in this case.

Well, I had a contract position with a major US TV station. Their shopping site was protected by a maximum protection standby, with fairly large traffic (up to 150 concurrently active transactions) and a mere T1 line between NYC and Stamford, CT to connect the primary and the backup site. The server was HP 9000. Maximum protection worked like a charm, no problems whatsoever. Funny thing was that the standby was on the same type and size of the machine, so that they've had monthly DR drills. One month primary database would be in Stamford, CT, the next in NYC.

--
http://www.mgogala.com